Update your Garmin Nuvi 205 device with easy to follow instructions as per this comprehensive guide. With these updates, you can get the maximum benefits from your most portable and affordable Garmin Nuvi 205.
Updating the device, what many people think is a tedious process. Be we should remember,
to update your GPS device is as important as using it. Garmin is known for its user-friendly devices and that’s why the US maker keeps on releasing new updates every year.
So, if you are looking out to Update your Nuvi 205 in a hassle-free manner, then you have landed on the right page.
How to Update Garmin Nuvi 205?
The Garmin Nuvi 205 Device update will fix many issues that might be causing a bad user experience. With this amazing guide, you will be able to update your device by yourself and at the end going to master this process.
For easy installation and update, your computer should have these specifications.
- Windows 7 operating system or above
- 1 GB RAM and USB Port access
- High internet speed (WiFi or Ethernet Network Services)
- 20 GB free disk space
- MacOS 10.10 or above
- 1 GB RAM and USB Port access
- High internet speed (WiFi or Ethernet Network Service)
- 20 GB free disk space
So let’s begin.
We will be discussing two ways
- Using Garmin Update software
- Garmin map Update from a different source
Way 1.Using Garmin Update Software
Here we will be doing the update using Garmin Express
Step 1. Downloading Garmin Express
Before proceeding with the updates you need to download and install Garmin Express in your Laptop or computer. This is the web page for all Garmin software updates. You can easily scroll through Garmin website as this is one of the most easily managed.
To start the downloading process you just need to go to MyGarmin Express or alternatively, you can type in your browser “garmin.com/express” and press “Enter”, this will route you to the Garmin Express webpage.
On this webpage, you can choose either “Download for Mac” or “Download for Windows” depending upon your computer or laptop operating system.
Now Windows user, need to open the step file that has been downloaded to your windows computer by double click the “Set up” name.
macOS users need to click and open the Garmin Express DMG file.
Now You just need to read and follow the on screen instructions. To proceed further you need to click “Install” and then the Garmin Update Software will be downloaded to your computer system.
Step 2. Connecting Nuvi 205 to Computer
This step will need few tools
- Garmin Nuvi 205 device
- USB cable (Comes with you Device)
- Computer or Laptop
- Fast internet speed (WiFi or Ethernet cable network is preferred)
First, you will have to detach your Garmin Nuvi 205 from the car. Ensure that your GPS Device and Laptop or computer are turned on, now you will have to connect your Nuvi 205 to a computer with the help of USB cable. This will make your computer to detect your device for update. For the proper connection between the computer and your device, you should always use the Garmin recommended USB cable.
Step 3. Launch Garmin Express
Now to proceed further you need to launch the newly installed Garmin Express. For that, you need to search for the Garmin Express in Search Menu or else you can find the Garmin Express icon in the Windows taskbar. Further now your need to double click “Garmin Express”.
Step 4. Start Device Update
In this step you need to start the Garmin Nuvi 205 Update. Now after launching the Garmin Express a new window will open, that will display the name of your Device next to a green light.
If your device name is not there in the Garmin Express window then you can click “Add a Device”, this will show your device name in the window and hence you will be able to see the updates available for your device along with the estimated time to update (better to have a strong internet connect).
Now you need to click “Accept” after reading the terms and conditions. Thereafter you will have to click “Install”, this will proceed you towards progress bar that shows the percentage downloaded and remaining time to download.
Now to finish Garmin Software Update you need to restart your computer and after 5 seconds your computer will apply the software update. After finishing the installation process the maps update will begin automatically.
Step 5. Disconnecting your Device
Now you need to safely disconnect your device from the computer. To proceed with this process you need to right-click on the “Garmin Express” icon and from the drop-down list, you need to select “Eject” and finally disconnect the USB cable.
Way 2. Garmin Map Update from different source
This is another way to update the maps directly to your Garmin Nuvi 205 Device, and you need to proceed in the following easy way:
Step1. Downloading “.img” File
- Ensure to close the Garmin Express window, if it is open.
- First, you will have to download the free maps “.img” file to your computer or laptop.
- Now you need to connect your Garmin Nuvi 205 Device to your computer with the help of USB cable.
- Now to move further you need to remove your Garmin Device’s SD card and insert it into your computer card reader slot.
Step 2. Locating Garmin Nuvi Device
In this step you need to make prepare your device to receive and send the file, and to proceed with you will have to keep your device in Mass storage mode.
- Now you should open the “Garmin Storage” on your computer by pressing “Window+E” key.
- Now in the Devices and Drivers section, you need to double click “Garmin Nuvi 205”.
- On Mac OS you need to click “Finder” and then press “Garmin Nuvi 205”.
- Further now you will have to open the Garmin or map folder, location depending upon your device mode, if you don’t find the map folder then you will have to create a “Map” folder.
Step 3. Copy File to Map Folder
Further in this step, you will have to paste the map files to the maps folder.
- For windows you need to “Drag and Drop” the downloaded maps files to the maps folder that we have just created in the previous step, or else you can use the shortcut keys “Ctrl+C” to copy and “Ctrl+V” to paste to the required folder.
- For macOS users, the process remains the same but shortcut keys are “Command+C” to copy and “Command+V” to paste to the required folder.
Now, this process might take some time depending upon your map file size and your computer’s specifications.
Step 4. Disconnecting Garmin Nuvi 205
In this step, you will have to remove your GPS Device safely from the computer and then restart your computer. Now once your computer restarts you will have to launch the newly updated map, to proceed with it click “Tool” and then click “Settings”, and then click “Maps Info”. Thereafter you need to opt-out from “Old Maps” and select the “New Maps”.
And now you are good to go with your newly updated Maps in your Garmin Nuvi 205 Device.
Isn’t it so simple?
Although you are using the world’s best GPS Garmin Nuvi 205 Device, to update it regularly is most important. However now you need not worry about how to update because with this guide you will be able to easily update your Garmin Nuvi 205 Device.
So follow all the steps as been told in this comprehensive guide and be regularly updated with the latest maps and other features, and in case of any issue you can contact MyGarmin Express.
Happy travelling !😊
For detailed information, you can contact us at toll-free number +1 888-309-0939 or write at email@example.com. Our Garmin Nuvi professionals will provide instant help.